CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Steel Cut Oats

Recently I have jumped on the steel cut oats band wagon.  Since I am fairly new to the whole cooking thing, I have been looking for new foods to try.  (We got married in November, so I have been experimenting for the last few months.)   I recently stumbled upon this recipe.

Steel-Cut Oatmeal

4 1/2 cups water
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp butter, diced
1 heaping cup of steel-cut oats

Combine all the above ingredients in a small (2.5-3 quart) crock-pot, and set it on warm.  Let the oats cook overnight, or for 7-8 hours.  Mix gently, and stir in:
1/4 cup brown sugar 
1 tsp vanilla 

You can mix in whatever you want from there:  raisins, dried cranberries, nuts, cinnamon, etc.  Make it your own! 
 
 
I actually cooked it in a 1.5 quart slow cooker on warm overnight.  I also just put 3 tsp of brown sugar and about a Tbs of sugar free maple syrup, because my hubby is diabetic.  
If anyone has any other similar suggestions please feel free to add.  I am always in need of new recipes, especially quick breakfast ones!

Thanks for stopping by!
Have a blessed week!
<3 Ash  <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment